Monday, August 30, 2010

Oat grout pilaf


I got the idea fro this dish from a recipe I had read called "creamy oat grouts" as I read the recipe I realized it was just oat grouts and hollindasie sauce mixed.

Such a lame way to prepare a grain of such integrity! I have been a long time fan of oat groats. So much in fact that haven't prepared rolled oats in longer then I can remember. They are very versatile and have a chewy constituency that I find more desirable then mushy oats. I often eat them in a savory breakfast with olive oil, salt and nutritional yeast.

Oat grouts are also more nutritious then rolled oats. They are less processed obviously, since they are still encased in their fibrous shell.
I recommend soaking them the night before to cut down on cooking time. After soaking for 24 hours they can also be food processed into a raw cereal which is good with cinnamon and nuts.

And now for the pilaf.  
I minced fresh parsley, tarragon
the juice of one lemon, strained
cooked oat groats
olive oil
salt & pepper
half of a BEAUTIFUL purple bell pepper
a cooked chicken breast chopped
some chopped perfectly ripe tomatoes
all mixed together and topped with fresh basil

This dish was reminiscent of tabouli but defintely had its own flavors. It was really tasty, with a crisp and clean nature perfect for summer dining.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment